When Comment Spamming Goes Too Far

Toady I recieved more than 900 comment spams (probably all from the same person). Maybe it’s a flaw with WordPress 1.5 that allows comment spamming without a login? Is anyone else having this problem? or does anyone know how this is being done?

900 comment spams on a single blog from the same person in one day is not black hat SEO, it’s just an attack. What do you think is the appropriate response for something like this? – it took me more than 10 minutes just to mark them all as spam and delete them all from my inbox.

On another note, remember that this Saturday at noon is the deadline for signing up for next Saturday’s SEO Poker Tournement.

14 Responses to “When Comment Spamming Goes Too Far”

1. pip says:

What about AKISMET??? Doesn’t work for you?

2. IrishWonder says:

It’s not even an attack but plain stupid. Had to deal with the same shit to. You can set up your WordPress to let only those logged in comment but this only affects the posts made after you’ve done so, all earlier posts are still vulnerable. Again, I am not sure yet how it affects trackback pings. I am also thinking of making my commenters do a little math or something 😉

3. axoaxo says:

perhaps just change the names of the formular and textboxes etc ? Then the normal spam should be banned.

4. brianthibault says:

i started using the Aksimet plugin last night on my blog, it catches all the spam posts and allows you to delete them all at once. Maybe you are using it and the spammers are beating it? .. but if not, try it.

5. TwisterMc says:

Get the Spam Karma plugin and most of your spam worries will be gone. It’s freakin’ amazing!!

6. rxbbx says:

My experiences with the akispam are also excellent.. i had at all my blogs also that nice message from: akispam has cought ? spam messages. I removed that part.

I did not use Spam karma plugin before. Irish wonders says with that extra option. But you allready have that option enabled?

7. bpcombs says:

My WordPress site has been under a similar attack for the last few days (although not quite as heavy as yours). I installed Akismet and it seems to have fixed the problem.

8. Andrew Johnson says:

I’ve seen the number of comment spams skyrocket on my blogs over the past three days, but nothing near 900.

9. […] Suprisingly comments are enabled. As the AP reports this has led to a few amusing comments. I wonder if they have discovered comment spam yet? […]

10. Self Evident says:

On WordPress blogs on hosts I control I use Spam Karma 2. I dunno ’bout akismet, but SK2 *can* function like DCC does for email. I also employ a 12 character, difficult CAPTCHA 😉 That’s a good foundation and naturally there are many additional and entertaining options

11. graywolf says:

yep I’ve clearly seen my spam increase over the past few weeks. Akismet has caught almost 10,000 messages in the past 30 days. Clearly someone is using a new major blog spam tool. For less sophisticated I can imagine the spam just being overwhelming to deal with.

12. […] Looks like SEOBlackhat is having a similar problem with spam bots: “900 comment spams on a single blog from the same person in one day is not black hat SEO, it’s just an attack. What do you think is the appropriate response for something like this? – it took me more than 10 minutes just to mark them all as spam and delete them all from my inbox” […]

13. getmeit says:

My splog empire has been under heavy attack for a few days: over 3000 spammy comments. I installed akismet and it worked for two days. Someone seem to have found a way thru the filter.

14. thekman says:

If comment spammers go to far contact the webhost if possible, some respond some dont. I got nailed hard by a sub-domain from 5gigs.com and it had my site completely unresponsive so I know these comment spam at this level is like an attack.