STILL No Gmail

Since the problem started last wednesday, I recieved gmails on friday for about 10 minutes. For the Last 50 Hours, the only emails I have recieved have been from other people with gmail sending to my gmail account.

Sure, I’ve been on the beach playing volleyball here in rio, but that doesn’t mean I don’t need to be receiving my emails.

The Google team has been no help, sending me only this form letter and not responding to my reply:

Hello,

Thanks for your report.

Please check Spam and Trash, and try performing a search in your Gmail
account. Make sure you haven’t created any filters that would affect
the messages in question. Also, verify that you haven’t enabled
auto-forwarding, and that your ‘Reply-to:’ address is defined as your Gmail
address.

If you are using a custom ‘From:’ address to send mail, make sure
you’ve designated your Gmail address as the ‘Reply-to:’ address. Click
‘Settings’ at the top of any Gmail page to check.

Keep in mind that messages you send to a mailing list that you
subscribe to, and messages you send to an email address that is automatically
forwarding your mail to Gmail, only appear in Sent Mail.

If you’re still unable to find the messages, please ask the sender for
the full headers and include them in a response to this message.

If you’ve received new mail, but experienced a delay, send us the full
headers. To display full message headers, click the down arrow next to
‘Reply,’ at the top-right of the message pane, and select ‘Show
original.’ Copy and paste the contents of the new window in to your reply. If
you don’t want to include the body text, please be sure that you paste
the entirety of all other information listed above.

We appreciate your patience. Thanks for taking the time to send us your
feedback and concerns.

Sincerely,

The Google Team

Not 1 spam message has been recieved in the last 50+ hours. Normally I get more than 3000 per day.

They have not replied to my reply. I would like to know how to quickly download everything from my archive to my hard drive. Not having email for week is unacceptable. I need amission critical service to handle my email and that is apparantly not Google.

All i need now is to figure out how to make the conversion.

I’m very dissapointed and thought Google was better than this.

13 Responses to “STILL No Gmail”

1. sidvicious says:

Out of interest, why do you trust your main email address to an external email provider, rather than hosting it yourself on your own domain?

I have used gmail in the past, but never as a primary address. For one thing, it greatly bugs me that it’s impossible to turn off the spam filter. I prefer to control such things myself.

because i’m an idiot.

3. bjorn says:

You do it because it’s convenient. GMail is easy to use, and better than any other webmail you’d be able to set up yourself.

That said, the best solution would probably be to set up your own domain and have it forwarded to the GMail account – so that you could switch to another in cases like this.

I share your disappointment with Google and find it very surprising that they haven’t fixed your problem yet.

4. rxbbx says:

I agree with sidvicious. You should take your own email. Not other services from third parties. But you are not an idiot :) . Such things can also happen with own stuff. Hopefully the folks from Google repair it. Success.

well of course that’s how i had it set up. I wouldn’t give out a free mail email address to anyone. It’s just that I thought gmail would be an ok place to forward to.

6. Muskie says:

I gave up on webmail, especially free webmail even before GMail came out. That said I think you always have headaches with email. Sometimes it just stops working and it has basically become mission critical.

It can be dangerous to rely too much on email.

7. ThatAdamGuy says:

Yo, Quadzilla… I’ve wanted to troubleshoot your situation with our Gmail team, but I don’t know your Gmail address, and they weren’t able to find anything with the string “quadzilla.”

Also, they noted that if you (or anyone else getting a message like the one you’ve noted above) replied, it’d escalate the ticket, so if you haven’t replied yet to the note you’ve received, please do that.

8. reteep says:

I actually use Google Mail Hosted for one of my domains for about 1 year now and never ran into any problems.

The advantage: You can turn your DNS settings back whenever you want or need to. I like the gmail interface very much so it’s great using it and you still have the possibility to switch to your own mailserver anytime if Google is experiencing problems.

- reteep

It’s working again but I have moved all the forwards from gmail.

10. [...] A third way is to set up our email to handled by Google. In order to do this you sign up for Google Apps and set up your dns records accordingly. I think this option is great for regular family sites or beginners but for my business. If you don’t have or are uncomfortable using shell access then this option might be best for you. I chose not to use this though because don’t want to be left high and dry if Gmail encounters any problems. [...]

11. [...] A third way is to set up our email to handled by Google. In order to do this you sign up for Google Apps and set up your dns records accordingly. I think this option is great for regular family sites or beginners but for my business. If you don’t have or are uncomfortable using shell access then this option might be best for you. I chose not to use this though because don’t want to be left high and dry if Gmail encounters any problems. [...]