How to Build Link Pyramids

Yesterday, we discussed two of ways you can use bursts of spammy links to help you make money. But just because you have the ability to spam thousands of links a day to a single page doesn’t mean it’s the most effective use of the tool.

What if I told you there is a way to launder those spammy links; a way to sift out the negative Google Karma to leave you with pure Link juice that Google uses to rank. Would you be Interested?

If so, then you’re gonna want to know about:

Link Pyramids

Among of The Great Wonders of the Web are Link Pyramids. These majestic towers of ranking excellence are built on the backs of spammy links just like the Ancient Pyramids were built by slaves. Today we’re going to define what Link Pyramids are, why they work so well and what they look like. Later this month we’ll get into the nitty gritty on building them.

The Idea behind the Link Pyramid is that while link juice can pass from one site to the next, ranking penalties generally stop after one hop. It works on the premise that the lowest quality sites link upwards to the next higher quality sites in your network. Sites can link laterally and upwards but not downwards.

So here’s what the pyramid looks like . . .

[I started making a graphic of a Pyramid, but honesty, I just can’t be bothered. You know what a fucking pyramid graphic looks like – right? Great! Moving on . . .]

The Bottom

At the bottom of the Pyramid sits a network of sites you created on free blog host or Squido, or anywhere you can get web space for free. These sites should not have ads on them. These sites will link to random other quality sites on the web and to your 2nd level sites. You will experiment with how few links you can spam to these sites to get them to acquire link juice vs. how many you can spam to them before they get banned. If you are not selling anything on these sites there is more leeway. The only type of links you are sending to these sites are those free spammy links from link software.

2nd Level of Pyramid

Then we have your 2nd level of the Link Pyramid. This is where you put your domain portfolio to work. This network of sites is distributed across cheep shared hosting accounts. The more shared hosting accounts you have for this purpose, the smaller your footprint will be. Hosting is really cheep these days, and you’ll probably be spending more each year on domain renewals than you will be on shared hosting.

This 2nd level of sites will get links from the bottom level of sites, but never link back down to them. These sites can still receive spammy links but tread lighter: you don’t want your account getting banned with the shared host. Buying cheap links to these sites also helps the network grow. Directory submission and press release type links are good to go at this level, as is moderate monitization. The Primary purpose of these sites is to build a link farm to link to the Golden Crest of your link Pyramid.

The Golden Crest

Here we have the sites that are ready for prime time. They have fantastic designs and flow. They are your niche authority sites. Their links come from Level 2 of the pyramid, link buys, link bait, and manual, targeted Link spamming. The Golden crest can make money, but the real purpose of these sites is to link to the Top of your pyramid.

The Top

At the Top of the Pyramid is the Target site: That’s the pristine white hat looking site that you want to present to your customers and to rank in the search engines. This site has the bulk of your editorial content: you’re link bait. This site is an e-commerce site that is designed to make money. This is the site you’re paying bloggers and reviewers to link to. You’re only purchasing the highest quality links to this site and your link Ninjas are securing only the best quality links. This is the site that is optimized for the keywords you know make money. This is your money site.

Make sure to have every level of your site link to sites outside of your network and for fuck’s sake:

DO NOT INTERLINK YOUR ENTIRE NETWORK!!!

If you’re gonna do that, you might as well fill out a spam report on yourself with a list of all your sites and submit it to Google. Along similar lines, don’t use any of Google Products for these sites (like analytics, or Adsense, or Adwords . . . or even surfing to them with a Google Toolbar installed or Google Chrome) with the possible exception of the site at the top of your Pyramid.

I’m sure some of you have some questions. Fire away if you do: this way I have more shit to blog about.

17 Responses to “How to Build Link Pyramids”

1. jt says:

Thanks for the breakdown – very useful.

A couple of ignorant questions (please excuse my noobness):

1). How many websites, on average, would you need for each of the bottom three levels of the pyramid to rank for competitive terms?

2). Do you get private registration for every domain you use in the pyramid? Who do you recommend using as a registrar?

2. Ashley says:

I have a bunch of Wordpress.com / blogger sites where I’ve opted for my own domain name instead of a sub-domain of Wordress.com or Blogger. Would this count as “shared hosting”? for a level two site?

Also, just as a general ballpark figure if you have one really high quality site at the very top of the pyramid how many sites are underneath it? Number of bottom sites? Number of 2nd level sites? And number of golden crest sites? Just roughly what are we talking? How many of each do you typically set up to support one high quality site?

3. Eli says:

Yeah I have a question. Could you please quit ripping off my posts/terms and rewriting them as your own…kthxbye

That can’t REALLY be Eli complaining about this post can it?. Nah – it’s gotta be an imposter.

Because if we google “Link Pyramid” SEO Bluehat ain’t in the top 100:

and if we search the site all we find an unrelated post from 3 fucking years ago:

5. Eli says:

I was referring to: http://www.bluehatseo.com/seo-empire-part-1/
    Your post is just a summary of the sections.
    The coined terms in the post have even been used “This is your money site.” to list one example.

The terms i was referring to were in previous posts this year such as “Black Hole SEO” http://www.bluehatseo.com/category/black-hole-seo/

I’m not mad. It just keeps happening and every time it does i have to get a couple hundred emails from people about it and its gotten to the point of beyond just a coincidence. It’s true the strategies in seo empire get talked about a lot in the industry and same with the terms so it may be just you hearing the terms and spins and piecing together the post in a quantum mechanics type of way. If so its not a problem just if you’re going to call them your own please at least put some interesting spin or extra idea to make them useful like other blogs do.

-Actually Eli

6. countzero says:

Maybe you should go patent “SEO EMPIRE” and “BLACK HOLE SEO”. You are clearly the first and only one to have thought of those things.

So you think you coined “Money sites”? Get a fucking grip. And the inspiration for my black hole SEO post was some physics books I was reading at the time. (Specifically “Black Holes and Time Warps” and “Surely you’re Joking Mr. Feynman”). I don’t think we even use the terms in similar ways.

The idea that you get “a couple hundred emails” from fans about duplicate posts is laughable. No one gives a flying fuck in this industry about one person copying another’s posts / ideas and you sure as shit don’t have 100 people that email you about anything.

I don’t claim to have come up with any of the ideas I write about on this blog but I will say this: You are not, and have never been, my muse.

8. countzero says:

I think he might be jealous you rank #1 for “black hole seo”.

9. birzu.sergiu says:

I enjoy bluehatseo along with seoblackhat and I sincerely think(and hope) it’s not Eli talking but assuming it’s him I can only think he’s advertising his blog for free(or another guy starting the flame for this purpose).

Not the best way to do it though.

10. fishers says:

Seriously pleased that you’ve got this blog going again . . . The most interesting and anticipated feed in my RSS reader. Plus I’ve learned a lesson or two with my own link pyramids this week – Very timely. Also can I just emphasise the importance of NOT INTERLINKING your network :)

11. bohica937 says:

What exactly do you mean by not interlinking? Do you mean just not linking the higher levels with the lower ones, or do you mean not linking ALL of them to ALL of the rest? Sorry for not 100% understanding, I’m new to all this. =)

12. Muskie says:

I never stopped following this site, then again I think it is on my sidebar and has been for years…

I find it amusing. I really should try to make more money, but for a long while I had bigger problems. Now I’m just starting to think more ambitiously. People always get upset when you beat them for a search engine term. Sometimes you can embarass people and the extra press generated makes things even more problematic. Sometimes you just wait and the other site just disappears. That has happened to me numerous times over the years.

Of course the Wikipedia is still around. I keep linking to it, so I’m part of the problem if you’re in the SEO game, but I’m not really in the game, or the keywords and phrases I go after are just not worth much, but I know people still expect me to just link to their completely irrelevant sites because of some autogenerated email. They send them to co-workers too.

13. Pianoman says:

Very useful article and some interesting questions, but where are the answers?

I have a question… is it possible to bring down a competitor’s site by building a totally obvious link farm, totally interlinked and then linking all of the sites to the competitors site?

If so how many sites would you need in the farm? would the result be dependant upon the competitors original strength. Say a page rank five site, with 5000 existing links of which five are .edu and a page rank spread of mostly PR1’s and rising to about 60 Pr 4’s and 5’s’s. What kind of link farm would destroy a site like this?

I am not asking for any moral judgement of whether any one should actually do this but simply would it work, could a site ever be murdered by malicious linkfarm spamming? – if that is the correct phrase.

And for the guy or gal who is complaining about ‘coined phrases’ being used – why else would you coin a phrase if it wasn’t so people could use it? – we all use everyday vocabulary that was invented by someone else, are you suggesting that we should all have our own unique personal language? – get a life!

The Answers to the questions are in subsequent blog posts. I’ll put your other questions in the cue for answering now :)

BTW, who coined the phrase “Coined the Phrase” ?

15. elebrio says:

What I don’t understand is how these link pyramids launder *anything* when Google has access to the underlying registrar data. Apparently I’ve been operating under false assumptions.

elebrio: Like I said in the follow up post – quite a few people think that Google can get the registrar information even if it’s private. Those people tend to use fake registration data.

17. LukesDad says:

Hi,

what anchortexts do you use in the pyramide? Do you use the real keywords only from the golden crest upwards or right from the bottom level?