Follow Up Q&A on Link Pyramids

1) How many websites, on average, would you need for each of the bottom three levels of the pyramid to rank for competitive terms?

It’s going to vary greatly from market to market and term to term. Also, there are many other factors in ranking a site other than just the link farm / pyramid you create.

But for the most competitive markets the pyramid is gonna be deep it looks something like this:

300,000 -Bottom layer
20,000 – Domain Portfolio / shared hosting
800 -Authority / Niche sites
40 – Money Sites Dominating more than half of top ten for competitive serps

2) Do you get private registration for every domain you use in the pyramid? Who do you recommend using as a registrar?

Everyone has their own preferences; some say that Since Google is a registrar, they can see all the private registrations. Other say that private registration is a red flag – it’s a spam signal. (Presumably, if you have nothing to hide, why are you hiding). Given that, many people opt for fake registration information.

3) I have a bunch of WordPress.com / blogger sites where I’ve opted for my own domain name instead of a sub-domain of Wordress.com or Blogger. Would this count as “shared hosting”? for a level two site?

I would count that in the shared hosting level.

4) Yeah I have a question. Could you please quit ripping off my posts/terms and rewriting them as your own…kthxbye

Answered here.

Keep the questions coming!

8 Responses to “Follow Up Q&A on Link Pyramids”

1. Steward says:

I wonder how you find time for the No. 1 Site of the pyramid. How do you manage your working time, can you give numbers for the different levels? And how many people work on the pyramid you described above?

Thanks for sharing these ideas! 🙂

2. Ed says:

A registrar can’t access private customer information of another registrar, when you use private registration your personal info only resides in your registrars customer database…which again is only accessible by your registrar.

It’s impossible for Google to have access to your personal information when you use a private registration service.

3. Carl says:

Good answers

Are .infos/other cheap TLDs off limits for the bottom feeder type sites? How about subdomains off existing sites like wordpress.com?

4. groneg says:

I’ve got the same ques as stewart. I can envision the scale in my head. How do you find time for the top layer (whitehat) & the second layer. I assume the bottom 2 layers are autogeneratecd over time — does the same go for the authority/niche sites?

Also, you’re talking > $200K in just yearly registrar renewals? oomph.

5. groneg says:

sorry — “i CAN’t envision the scale”…

6. karoshi says:

Hi Quads, awesome series of posts! One question though: For each level, what is the average time a site stays indexed (if done intelligently)?

7. reteep says:

How much of a problem is the duplicate content stuff for the bottom layer autogenerated sites? Does it matter?

8. Ashley says:

Quads;

Thanks for the follow up. I think I’m starting to get a feel for the sort of scale you’re talking about.

This is probably a whole other post topic, but can you explain how you create those bottom three layers of sites? What automated tools do you use for 300K bottom layer sites? Certainly it must be hard to create that many Squidoo lenses without some good automated tools.

So how do you create the 300K, 20K, and 800 sites? What automated tools do you use? And what sort of content do you fill them with? Does it ever get updated? Even managing 800 sites seems like a difficult thing.

And like a comment described above, you’re saying that you have 20K domain names, right, for the second tier? That’s $160K / year (20K x $8 / domain). That’s got to be a pretty lucrative niche to make that pay.

I know you’d never want to describe your own sites but can you name some keywords that are dominated by this sort of strategy in the SERPs?