Archive for the ‘SEO’ Category

Starcraft 2 and Productivity

This weekend I was hanging out in Boston with some cool MIT dropouts that do similar web stuff to what I do. One of them commented that he is now getting out of office replies from his russian programmers that include their BattleNet Rank and server!

So much for getting things done!

Why the New Bill Means I Won’t be Buying Health Insurance

The new health insurance bill that just passed forces a fine of up to $700 per year if you don’t have insurance.

It also states the insurance companies cannot decline coverage for pre-existing conditions.

So: no need to buy insurance. Just pay that fine every year. Pay out of pocket for your minor medical needs every year. Then if you get sick or get into an accident where you need insurance, you buy it on the day you get sick: they can’t turn you down.

It’s like buying fire insurance the day after you house burns down.

All you suckers who are actually paying for insurance before you need it (you know, the way insurance is suppose to work) will be in effect paying my catastrophic risk premium.

Great law there: because the problem with health insurance was that it was too affordable.

What is the Rational Decison?

Imagine you asked to take a bet. The bet is for your entire net worth. If you win, you double your net worth. If you lose, it goes to zero.

Here’s the kicker: You have a 90% chance to win and only a 10% chance to lose.

Do you take the bet? (answer with how many digits in your net worth).

Corrected: Top 100 Site Traffic Breakdown

I saw this over at the BBC: A breakdown of traffic for the top 100 sites.

Their infographic was helpful, but it needed a slight correction. After careful study (many hard hours), I have concluded that this updated Infographic more accurately represents the traffic breakdown:

top100
Margin of error +-50%

$200 Twitter Contest: 122 Characters Sent Back 2000 Years

Today, I saw what I thought was an interesting thread over on reddit:

If we could transmit a single, 140 character message back to the year 2000, what should it be?

But I misread it as:

If you could send a single 140 character message back 2000 years, what should it be.

And I think my misread is way more interesting. So much so, that I’m making a $200 twitter contest out of it.

Now we’ll need room for link, so lets make it 122 characters.

The Contest

Assume for a second that the message will be widely read, and that the readers can all understand English. What 122 character message would you send back to the year 10 AD (2000 years ago)?

Answer in a tweet: Up to 122 character answer followed by a space and then this url: http://tr.im/RllZ

Whoever comes up with the best answer wins $200 (via paypal). Best answer decided by me, but I may be influenced by the comments on this post.

Why 6th Place in Search Might Soon Be a Player

Right now, Ask, Bing, Yahoo and Google control 99% of the search market. In Europe, Google controls close to 90% of that.

That sounds like about the same market penetration that lead to the EU decision to force MS to offer browser choice this month on new machines.

But right now, most (all?) of those browsers default to Google search.

Europeans need more choice. Just like they needed choice on the browsers. On new machines, after they download whichever browser, they need a screen with the top 6 search engines and to ask people who will be their default search provider.

Even if the browser is Chrome.

It’s only “fair.”

What’s good for the Goose is good for the Google.

Microsoft Cross Platform Flow

Via download squad:

It’s the same game, the same code, compiled to run on three different Microsoft devices. This type of thing really is going to be huge.

Hear That? It’s the Sound of Socialist Heads Assploding.

Canadian Premier Danny Williams goes to the US for heart surgery.

An unapologetic Danny Williams says he was aware his trip to the United States for heart surgery earlier this month would spark outcry, but he concluded his personal health trumped any public fallout over the decision.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Williams said he went to Miami to have a “minimally invasive” surgery for an ailment first detected nearly a year ago, based on the advice of his doctors.

“This was my heart, my choice and my health,” Williams said late Monday from his condominium in Sarasota, Fla.

“I did not sign away my right to get the best possible health care for myself when I entered politics.”

But . . . but . . . Canada has teh best health cares system evah!

There’s no place in the world I’d rather be sick or injured than the good old USA.

“If the US enacts these so-called reforms, where will the Canadians go for care?” – Jay Leno

The Real Reason Google Dropped Youtube Support

So you’ve probably heard that Google has decided to drop IE6 support for Youtube.

At first I just figured “Cool, we’ll get more people away from IE6.” But the real reason is that they want to promote Chrome:

youtubeie6

That first Slot will get a majority of the clicks.

Very clever Google. Evil. But Clever.

Aaron: It’s not Spam, It’s a “Newsmaster Site”

Aaron, Aaron. You still don’t know the difference between a spam site and a newsmaster site?

While they may appear similar, they are actually quite different.

Since you’re having trouble with it (and you ARE an SEO expert), no doubt some of my other readers are struggling with it as well. So for all of you, I’ll give you this infographic cheat sheet:

spam-vs-newsmaster

It’s pretty clear to me.

Also note: If you spout off bullshit about purple cows or you have already made millions selling off your steaming pile of shit web “business” during a bubble, then from that point onward, you are incapable of making a spam site. The sociopaths over at Google are too starstruck to ever consider anything you do “spam.”

Hope that helps!

-q